Apple is one of the leading IT companies on our planet. With the help of its innovative technologies, Apple makes products that are on-demand around the world. Therefore, we generally prefer iPhone to Android devices when it comes to choosing the brand of our cell phone. As mentioned, due to its innovative technologies the durability of iPhones is second to none. As a result, you can still notice people using iPhone 6 or iPhone 7 in your circle.
But, to be honest we are all part of the group that nurtures the desire to upgrade to a newer version of the iPhone. In this context, sometimes we need to resell our old devices and vice versa. So, we must execute the action of the iPhone age check prior to any transaction.
Henceforth, in this article, we will be deriving the methods of how to tell how old your iPhone is. Go through the whole article carefully and stay tuned until the end to grasp the methods.
How old is my iPhone?
To check the age of your iPhone the first step is to get the serial number of your iPhone. Firstly, let us know how to retrieve your iPhone serial number step-by-step.
How to retrieve your iPhone serial number
- Firstly, go to the “Settings” on your device.
- Secondly, look for “General Settings” to tap on it.
- Go to the “About” menu and you will see an option called “Serial Number”
- Finally, tap on it and voila! you are done. You can long-press the serial number to copy it for further use.
1# Using Apple warranty check coverage website
- Firstly, go to the browser on your smartphone or PC and type http://checkcoverage.apple.com on the navigation bar.
- An interface headed ‘check your service and support coverage’ will open.
- You can see two panels, one asking for the serial number of your device and the other asking to enter the captcha code.
- Execute actions accordingly and click on “continue”
- You will be provided with the details of your iPhone.
- Here, under the repairs and service coverage section, you can find the estimated expiration date.
As Apple offers service coverage for one year from the date of manufacture, you can check iPhone age from that date. However, if your device is older than a year then no details will be shown. Hence, this method will not work.
But, this should never be a reason to worry. The following section of the article is dedicated to performing an iPhone age check if your phone is older than a year.
2# Using a third-party online tool named Chipmunk Klantenservice
This is by far the most convenient method to tell how old your iPhone is. Here is a step-by-step approach-
- Open the browser on your iPhone or any device and go to the Chipmunk website provided below.
- Type http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel on the search bar to access the website.
- Enter the serial number and click on “Show the information”
- You will be able to see the details of your iPhone device. Scroll down to notice the production year and production week of your iPhone.
- Finally, use some 6th-grade arithmetic to calculate the age of your iPhone.
3# Using the online tool named SNDeepInfo (This method works even without the serial number)
This is also a similar online tool to the previous one. You can redeem more information (like the place of manufacture i.e. the factory, etc.) about your iPhone than Chipmunk. So, go through the steps and execute accordingly-
- Open the browser on your device and type https://sndeep.info/en to go to the website.
- Here, you can access your iPhone device’s information using the serial number or IMEI number. So, if you do not have the serial number then this is the way out.
- Note the production year and week to calculate the age of your iPhone.
4# Using Apple Support App
This application is designed to interact with Apple customer executives for bugs and updates. however, within the warranty coverage, you can check iPhone age from this application.
- Download the app from the App Store.
- Having opened the app tap the “device details” icon.
- You can see the date of expiration of service coverages under the section “Coverage Info”
- This is the answer to your question – how old is my iPhone?
5# Studying the fourth digit of your iPhone Serial number
Although this is an unconventional method nevertheless it works immaculately for the iPhone devices manufactured before 2020. In this method, you have to study the 4th digit of the serial number of your iPhone. If you observe the serial number, then you will notice that this is an alphanumeric code of 12 characters whose 4th digit is an alphabet.
This 4th character symbolizes the year and the phase of the year of manufacture. These alphabets are codes of the year. Here is how to decipher-
- C – First half of 2010
- F – First half of 2011
- G – Second half of 2011
- H – First half of 2012
- J – Second half of 2012
- K – First half of 2013
- L – Second half of 2013
- M – First half of 2014
- N – Second half of 2014
- P – First half of 2015
- Q – Second half of 2015
- R – First half of 2016
- S- Second half of 2016
- T – First half of 2017
- V – Second half of 2017
- W – First half of 2018
- X – Second half of 2018
- Y – First half of 2019
- Z – Second half of 2019
- D – The year 2020
Sometimes, these codes are simplified as 2 is for the year 2012, 3 is for 2013, and so on.
How to study the Serial Number of iPhone
However, this is irrelevant to the topic but relevant to the previous section. And, you should know what the twelve characters of the serial number signify-
- First 2 digits denote the id of the iPhone assembly plant
- 3rd digit denotes the assembly line number
- 4th & 5th digits signify manufacture date
- 6th, 7th, and 8th digits is a 3-digit unique number of the device.
- The next three characters are the code of the model number
- Finally, the last one is for the colour of the iPhone
Drawing the Curtain
We have put a huge effort to compile a comprehensive article that contains the most straightforward methods to check the iPhone age. We hope, this article will be proven convenient and helpful for you. For any feedback feel free to contact us as we are always striving to improve. And your feedback and constructive criticisms are our inspiration.
Hope we are able to answer to your question – How old is my iPhone? Happy Reading!