Cell phones have become an inseparable part of our lifestyle nowadays. Therefore, we tend to keep the device attached to us. But, the problem arises when we lose the phone i.e. the location of the device or its functionality is not at our beck and call. At this juncture, we aspire for the know-how of the procedure to ping phone location.
So, in this article, we will be taking you through the various distinct procedures on how to ping phone locations. But, before everything read about the ABCs of the topic.
What does the phrase ‘to ping phone location’ mean?
In layman’s terms, pinging the location of a device means the process to attain the information about its location provided by the network signal using the technology of the global positioning system (GPS). It is the self-informative response of your device in a given network.
How does the process function?
As mentioned above, this is a self-responsive process for your device. When you ping a phone’s location, it determines the value of latitude and longitude using the GPS with the help of its network provider. Secondly, it sends the information to another definite device as instructed earlier. Therefore, you become aware of its current location.
Why do you need to ping a phone?
Now, here comes the inquisitive approach. The technique is used by different entities for different purposes as-
- If you have lost your phone then this technology becomes handy.
- Some companies use the method to track the activities of their employees during economic hours.
- Parents use some spy apps to ping their children’s phones to keep up with the updates on the activities.
- Police use this to find the location of criminals.
- Sometimes, the government of a country use the method to track someone’s activities as a preventive measure and for security concerns.
However, it is important to note, that pinging or tracking someone’s phone without the consent of the concerned individual is deemed illegal. So, be careful with that. Knowing pinging a phone is not enough you should know its legal validity and criterion.
How do you ping a phone?
You can go through several methods to ping any Android or iPhone device. We are discussing the top four methods to find the location of a phone here. You can choose the easiest method from the following and execute it.
The easiest ways to find the location or ping a phone are-
1. Using GPS Tracking Software
One of the popular and easiest ways to find a location of a lost Android and iPhone is pinging the phone using GPS tracking software.
You can find several reliable free or paid applications to ping a phone. We are giving you the knowledge of some best GPS Tracking Software that can help you to find your loved one’s phone.
2. Google Maps
One of the best and most reliable methods to find a phone is using Google Maps. You can use the software without paying and find your Android and iPhone. For this purpose, the Google Maps should be installed on the lost Android or iPhone device. Also, your lost phone must be switched on and the location services of the device must be turned on.
- At first, you have to open the google maps website on any other smartphone or PC.
- After logging in to the Google Account linked to the lost or misplaced phone, you have to tap on the three horizontal bar icons in the top-right corner.
- Then, you have to select the ‘Your Timeline’ option and enter the Year, Month and Day for which you want to see the location of the phone.
- Now, the Google Map will show you the location history of your device along with the current location on maps.
3. Life 360
Another useful application to find your lost iPhone or Android is Life 360. You can find the device ongoing on the website of Life 360 on another person’s phone. You can get both free and paid forms of Life 360.
4. Default Phone Mechanism
You can also use the phone’s default mechanism if you want to ping phone location. It is convenient to track your Android and iPhone devices by using ‘Find My Device’ and ‘Find My iPhone’ features respectively. All you need is to go through some steps using those inbuilt features-
- At first, you have to visit the websites of iPhone and Android on another device from where you can find the lost device.
- You have to sign in to your Google Account. You can now see the live location of your lost phone.
You have to make sure that your ‘Find My Device‘ or ‘Find My iPhone‘ is turned on in the lost device.
5. Using a PC
You have to follow the below steps to ping your phone using a computer.
- You have to open the Settings and turn on the Wi-Fi of your phone.
- Tap on the ‘About Phone’ option in the settings and get the IP address of your phone.
- Then, turn on the computer and click on Windows. After searching Command Prompt, select the option.
- Choose Run as Administrator.
- Type ‘ping’ followed by the phone’s IP Address and press ‘Enter’.
6. Using Spy Apps
Spy Apps are the best option to find the location of a device. There are lots of spy apps through which you can easily track your Android and iPhone devices. Apart from finding a lost phone, these apps have several other features to monitor your child’s activity, track phone calls and track incoming and outgoing messages of a phone.
You have to simply create an account in a spy app from your phone. After, giving the information of the target device you want to find, you can install the application on that device by selecting the required plans. Now, you can get Wi-Fi or GPS data in real-time.
How to protect your phone from being pinging?
When someone is illegally tracking your phone, you need to stop the process. As anyone doesn’t want to be traced by an unknown person, you should have some knowledge to protect your phone from being pinging.
- Turn on the Airplane mode on your device.
- Turn off the Location Service of your phone.
- Make sure the applications on your phone do not reveal your location. Avoid using third-party applications.
- You can prevent Google from tracking your mobile phone by tapping on the Google Location History in your phone’s settings and selecting the ‘Pause’ option.
How to ping a switched-off phone?
The technique can control the software of the device to find the location. However, it has no control over the hardware system, as in, it can not change the device physically. Therefore, you can not track a switched-off phone.
Drawing the curtain
So, this is everything from our end on how to ping a phone to find its location. We have tried our best to demonstrate the techniques in layman’s terms. Therefore, those of you who are not so comfortable in technological matters can also execute the processes. We hope to have addressed your queries and concerns. Always remember the legality of the action and take steps accordingly. Let us know any feedback. Happy Reading!