Having trouble connecting to the Internet? Out of many troubleshooting steps, iPhone Renew Lease option is one useful thing to explore in such cases. Here in this article, we have covered What does renew lease on WiFi mean and how to do iPhone renew lease.
In this era of technology, many times we happen to confront some technical terms that are beyond our cognizance in our daily affairs. In this article, we are about to explain one of such terms. It is very much anticipated that you would have seen or heard a term called ‘Renew Lease‘. Now, let’s discuss- what does renew lease on WiFi mean? Keep reading until the end to understand the topic completely.
What does ‘Renew Lease’ on WiFi mean?
First of all, to know about the aforementioned term you have to have precise knowledge of the IP address. IP stands for Internet Protocol. An IP address is a unique address or code that identifies your device on the internet or LAN. Hence, it is an identification of your device on the network.
When you connect your device to a wifi network, the dynamic host configuration protocol (DHCP) helps to assign you an IP address temporarily for a certain dial-in session. This action is called leasing an IP address.
Your device drops the assigned address and leases a new one automatically for the next dial-in session. When you perform this task manually on your device, the execution is called ‘renew lease‘.
In layman’s terms, it is the process of assigning a new IP address to your device manually.
Where you can find iPhone ‘Renew Lease’ on WiFi?
A. On iPhone
- Go to the ‘settings’
- and then head to wifi.
- Hereafter tap on the info icon of your network.
- Scroll down to see the option ‘renew lease’.
B. On Mac
- Go to the system preference and then to network and to wifi.
- Now, select your wifi network and on the name menu, click on ‘advance’ followed by a click on TCP/IP.
- Here you can see the desired icon called renew DHCP lease.
How does iPhone Renew Lease WiFi setting help?
Generally, the span of your device’s IP address is 24 hours. After a 24-hour period, the address gets expired and gets dropped and consequently another address is leased. However, renewing the lease in wifi settings can help you in certain cases, for instance,
if the IP address is blocked by a certain website, then after renewing the lease you can surf the site from the same device.
Sometimes the execution of ‘renew lease’ can be effective when your device is facing a connection problem or can not connect to a wifi network. Moreover, it also helps to remedy internet breakage due to router configuration.
Ideally this whole process of renewing the lease is automatic. However in few conditions where you are not able to connect to the internet, you can follow these steps to renew it manually on your iPhone.
If you are unable to connect your iPhone to a wifi network that means the IP address assigned to your iPhone is expired. You can tap on the ‘renew lease’ for troubleshooting network-related issues. This implies forgetting the assigned IP address and getting a new one from the dynamic host configuration protocol (DHCP).
How to Renew Lease WiFi on iPhone?
Renewing the lease on iPhone is simple. Just follow the steps and act accordingly.
- Firstly, open the settings app on your phone and then proceed to wifi.
- Now, select the network and head to its info denoted by an ‘i’ icon.
- Hereafter, tap on renew lease icon. Now a tab will be opened containing the ‘renew lease wifi’ option. tap on it again.
- Voila! your device will forget the assigned IP address and get a new one from DHCP.
Similar to iPhone, this Renew Lease option is available in iPad, mac and other Android or Windows devices as well.
Renew Lease On Mac
- Head to the system preference from Apple settings on your device.
- Now look for the network option to click on. Then, select the TCP/IP option.
- Finally, click on the ‘renew DHCP lease’ option followed by ‘ok’ and exit from the settings menu.
- Your device will be reassigned to a new IP address.
Renew Lease On Windows
- Open the command prompt window and type ipconfig/release on it and hit enter. This will drop the IP address.
- Now, again on the command prompt window type ipconfig/renew followed by ‘enter’. your device will get a new IP address.
- You can check the new IP address at the bottom of your screen.
This action can be done only on Windows XP, 7, 8, 10 and 11 OS.
Renew Lease On Android OS
- Priorly, Open the network tab from the settings app on your Android mobile.
- Secondly, tap on the gear button of the network your device is connected to and then tap on the forget icon to drop the IP address.
- Finally, connect to that wifi network once again to get your device assigned a new IP address.
When your IP address becomes invalid leading to a connectivity problem, you may need to renew lease manually. However, as mentioned, your device renews the lease periodically.
Q1. Does iPhone renew lease option make the wifi faster?
No, the iPhone renew lease option does not make your connection faster. However, it helps you to troubleshoot connectivity issues i.e. when your device can not be connected to a wifi network.
Q2. Does ‘renew lease’ change the IP address?
Yes, as mentioned above, the procedure drops your device’s IP address and gets a new one. Henceforth, it changes the IP address.
Q3. Do I need to renew lease wifi on regular basis?
No, the validation span of an IP address is normally 24 hours. And after that, it automatically renews. However, you can do it when your device can not connect to a wifi network or the IP address is blocked by a website.
Drop the curtain
This is by far the most conclusive and comprehensive article about the ‘iPhone renew lease’ you can find. We have researched thoroughly to illustrate the topic in the most comprehensive form possible. We anticipate that it will be helpful for you and will address all your queries related to the topic- renew lease on wifi. Let us know furthermore questions or any feedback from your end. We shall strive to get back to you. Happy reading!
For more tech updates, follow cult.technology!!