Released in July 2020, Greyhound is an American war movie about the Second World War.
Starring Tom Hanks in the lead role and based on C.S. Shepherd’s 1955 novel The Good Shepherd, the film tells the tale of a US Navy Commander as he struggles to escort a convoy of merchant ships from the USA to Britain across the Atlantic Ocean, in the face of constant attacks by German submarines.
This 91-minute-long film was praised by critics for its concise storytelling and thrilling action scenes, and even received an Academy Award nomination for Best Sound.
Unfortunately, many viewers were denied the chance to watch this film on the big screen, as it was prevented from getting a theatrical release by the advent of the Covid-19 pandemic. After plans for a June release were scuttled by the pandemic, the distribution rights were sold to Apple’s flagship streaming service Apple TV, which then released the film digitally.
However, most viewers don’t own a physical Apple TV device, which is rather expensive. As a result, they could not see this thrilling cinematic spectacle. But if you want to watch Greyhound without having to go to the trouble and expense of buying an Apple TV, there are ways to achieve this! Want to know more? Just sit back, relax, and keep reading!
Watch Greyhound Without an Apple TV:
To enable viewers to enjoy the films and shows available on their streaming service without having to buy a physical gadget, Apple launched the Apple TV+ app, which can be downloaded on any smart TV or other devices, such as your iPad or Mac.
You can easily use this app to watch Greyhound or any other film or show of your choice. Since Apple TV+ is available in more than 100 countries, you don’t need to use any VPN to download it and watch Greyhound.
Here are the steps on watching Greyhound without an Apple TV with you.
Using the Apple TV+ app to watch Greyhound:
To download the Apple TV+ app on any device, just follow these steps:
- Open the App Store on your device, and search for the Apple TV+ app. If you can’t find the app, ensure that your device is compatible with it: you can check out the list of compatible devices and services at https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-app/devices/.
- If your device is compatible and you have found the app, download it.
- Once you have downloaded the app, open it and follow the instructions that will be displayed on your screen to complete the set-up.
- If you’re not already signed in with your Apple ID, open the app, and click on the Settings option. Then, go to Accounts, and choose the sign-in option that is convenient for you.
On the Apple TV+ app, you can either rent movies, or buy movies and TV shows, in the same way as you could on the iTunes store. To rent a film, for example, Greyhound, follow these steps:
- Search for the film in the app.
- On the film’s page, click on the option “Rent”. If you don’t see this option, then this particular film is not available to rent.
- Sign in with your Apple ID, and complete the transaction.
After you have rented the film, you have 30 days to watch it, before it gets deleted from your collection. But when you start watching the film, you must complete it within the next 48 hours, as it will get deleted after that.
Open your Apple TV+ and look at the sidebar to find your rented films. You will see an option called Library; click on it, then click on “Rentals”. If you can’t find your rented film here, then either the rental has expired, or you rented the film on a different Apple ID than the one you’re signed in on currently.
In contrast to renting, buying a film gives you permanent access to it, in exchange for paying a higher cost. To buy a film, follow these steps:
- Open the Apple TV+ app on the device of your choice.
- If it’s an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch, tap the Store tab. Then tap on Films and TV Programmes. If it’s an Apple TV+, Smart TV or some other streaming device, then you’ll directly get the option to open Films and TV Programmes without having to go through the Store; do that.
- Search for the film you want to buy.
- On the film’s page, click on the Buy option. If you don’t see such an option, scroll down and click on How to Watch, then click on the Buy option.
- Sign in with your Apple ID, and complete the transaction.
You can find the films that you have bought by clicking on Films and TV Programmes in the pop-up bar on the Apple TV +app, then clicking on Library in the Navigation Bar that appears.
Apple TV+ Pricing Options:
Whenever we are considering buying any new product or service, we have to take into consideration the burden it’ll impose on our pockets, and Apple TV+ is no exception to this rule. Fortunately for us, Apple offers us several purchase plans at different price points which afford us great flexibility to meet our requirements within our budget.
The various pricing options of Apple TV+ are:
- Free Trial: New users of Apple TV are granted a trial period of 7 days, free of cost. This trial period is more than enough for you to peruse the offerings available in Apple TV’s library, and decide if it’s worth the cost of a paid subscription. In this period, you can also buy/rent Greyhound from the iTunes store and watch it without having to pay separately for Apple TV.
- Free with Apple products: When you purchase any new Apple device, you are gifted a free subscription to Apple TV+ for one year. However, you have to redeem this gift within 90 days of your purchase, as it will otherwise expire. To redeem your free year for Apple TV+, follow these steps:
- Turn on your newly bought Apple device, and sign in with your Apple ID.
- Open the Apple TV app. Ensure that your device is using the updated version of the app.
- As soon as you open the app, the option to redeem the offer should appear on your screen. If not, open the Apple TV+ tab where you will find the offer. Follow the instructions that will be displayed on your screen to complete the process.
- Paid monthly subscription: The monthly subscription to Apple TV will cost you Rs. 99 per month. You can decide if this subscription is worth it based on your free trial / free year.
- Apple One: Apple One is the comprehensive offering of Apple services. It bundles four Apple services namely Apple TV+, Apple Music, Apple Arcade and iCloud+ into a single monthly subscription. There are three pricing options for this service:
- Individual, which will set you back Rs. 195 per month. This plan offers 50 GB of iCloud storage.
- Family, which will cost you Rs. 365 per month. This plan will provide you with 200 GB of iCloud storage.
You can also get a one-month free trial for Apple One. To access this trial:
- On iPhone and iPad, open Settings. Go to General, then Software Update, and update your device. Once the update is done, open Settings again, click on your name and open Subscriptions. Then choose your plan and enjoy Apple One!
- On Mac, open System Preferences, then Software Update, and update your device. Then follow the same steps as mentioned above.
- Apple Music Student Plan: The Apple Music Student Plan includes a free subscription to the Apple TV+ service. This is available for students enrolled in degree-granting universities and colleges in the US or Canada. Apart from enjoying a discounted monthly subscription to Apple Music for 48 months, you can watch Apple TV+ for free for a limited time. To learn how to avail of this plan, check out more details at https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT205928.
Why do I have to pay to watch movies after paying for Apple TV+?
You might be wondering, why do you have to pay to watch or rent movies like Greyhound on the Apple TV+ app, if you’re already paying a monthly subscription for the app?
The reason for this is the movies and shows which required to be rented or purchased, are available on the iTunes store, and need to purchase separately. The monthly subscription is only for the Apple TV+ channel, which includes Apple’s original shows. This is why the subscription is cheaper than other, all-in-one streaming services like Netflix or Amazon Prime.
Greyhound is a thrilling, action-packed war movie that is certainly worth a watch. If you don’t have a physical Apple TV, you don’t need to buy it to enjoy this movie; with the Apple TV+ app, you can enjoy Greyhound and other films like it from any device!
We hope you found this article on how to watch Greyhound without an Apple Tv helpful. Happy movie-watching!