As the 21st Century is gradually evolving, the importance and technical aspect of possession of intellectual property and credibility is increasing day by day. The more vulnerable we are becoming to cyber piracy, the more strict actions are being taken. These measures are being taken in case of hiring an employee in an online shopping store where consumers technically deal with nobody. One such company is Amazon.
Today, we are not addressing any technological queries, rather we are focusing on the legal and technical side of Amazon’s hiring process. If some of you, readers, plan to join the multi-national online shopping entity someday, you should at least bear a minimum knowledge about it.
In this article, we will be answering the much-coveted question – What is Amazon’s background check policy? But, before that let’s discuss a few lines about Amazon and what is a background check?
Amazon is an online marketplace where you can buy and even sell your desired products. It is a start-up that dates back to the 20th century. Former CEO of Amazon Inc. Jeff Bezos founded Amazon in his garage on July 5 in 1994. As of today, Amazon is in second place on Fortune’s most admired companies list 2022 with expansions to different fields like cloud services with AWS etc.. How inspirational is that! Currently, Amazon is operational in Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Poland, Spain, Singapore, the UAE, the UK, and the USA.
What is a background check?
A background check is a kind of professional norm. A huge workforce is employed by Amazon in over thirteen countries, for instance, only in the United States, there are more than 175,000 people directly employed by Amazon. This workforce is directly responsible for customer satisfaction and services, in other words, to build the reputation of the company.
Therefore, it is mandatory to follow the doctrine of checks and balances to produce optimum services and minimise theft, misuse, and other losses. The character of the employees determines this to a great extent. So, a background check is processed.
A background check is, in layman’s terms, collecting information about a person who is to be employed from third-party resources. The criminal record, civil record, civil score, past experiences, past employer’s feedback, a record of the court (if any), etc. of the concerned person are checked.
In this article, we will know more detail and how the Amazon background check process is executed. Stay tuned until the very end.
The ABCs of Amazon Background Check
The background check process is completed through the steps mentioned in the following segment-
- Firstly, you have to subscribe to Amazon’s background check policy when you apply for a job. Moreover, you have to legalize Amazon for the authorization of background checks.
- Having done so, you have to wait for seven – thirty days for the process to be executed. However, after a fortnight you can contact Amazon to know about the background check result from your side.
- The comprehensive research is completed in such a way that it collects data that shows your personal history for the last ten years from the date of application.
- The first criterion to be hired is to pass the Amazon background check policy. This is executed by a third-party company named Accurate Backgrounds. You may be summoned by the said company once you enter the hiring process of Amazon Inc.
- As you have subscribed to the Amazon Background Check Policy while applying for the job, your application is deemed to be terminated as soon as any discrepancy between their terms and your background is found. Once you pass the background check, you will be eligible for further stages.
Although this is an advisory line not mandatory, you should self-evaluate your background extensively before applying for a job at Amazon Inc.
Information verified during the Amazon background check
The following sets of data are verified in this process. Some are cross-checked as you have already provided them in your application, while others are gathered from the federal and provincial databases.
The Amazon Background Check investigates your educational details as you have already provided them. Any discrepancy here is treated as fraudulent.
As mentioned earlier, Amazon’s background check policy declares to examine the criminal record for the last seven-ten years. If you have any criminal record during the said period, this will impact the hiring process. A big probability is there for your application to be discarded if anything is found.
This is obvious. Every corporate entity looks for experiences, past job records, etc. Amazon is not an exception. The background check policy (Amazon) will retrieve the information about your past jobs, employers’ feedback, your performance, reasons for the job switch, etc.
Credit and Financial Details
Every corporate entity emphasizes the financial responsibility of its employees. It will check your credit score, credit history, financial behaviour, economical statistics, etc. to fathom whether you lead a responsible life or not.
Amazon background checks the references you have provided to them in your application. They will evaluate your performances and the benchmarks you have set.
Final Drug Test
This is the last phase. Here you have to provide a mouth swab and traces of recreational drugs are being tested. For your information, recreational drugs include cocaine, cannabis, etc. If traces are found there is minimal chance of you being hired.
What not to do in your Amazon Application
- Dishonest Information – If you provide any wrong information or, in other words, if any mismatch is found your application will be liable to be discarded. So, you should always provide information to the best of your knowledge.
- Act of Felony – If there is any criminal record in the last decade your application will automatically be disqualified. You should be cent per cent honest while applying. One way or other your dishonesty will be detected.
The Law that determines the hiring process
Every US-based corporate entity is bound to comply with the provisions of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
According to this act, any employer should discard an application from a person who has a criminal record in the last seven years.
However, there may be some relaxation in the period depending on the state and laws.
Drawing the Curtain
The most important aspect of any employee is his/her honesty, loyalty, and integrity. As you have gone through the article, you may have understood that honesty is the best virtue. Be honest on your CV and do nothing else. Rest is vested upon the employer, you can not decide. At least, present the best version of yourself.
We anticipate that this was very helpful for those who are aspiring to be an employee of Amazon. We are always at your service. Let us know any feedback from your side. Your satisfaction is our success. Being inspired by you, we always strive to improve. Happy Reading!