iPhone 8 was released on September 22, 2017. It’s been close to 5 years since it’s release and there has been lot of rumours about the iPhone 8 support end date. We are here to answer you how long will iPhone 8 be supported and what should you do to get the latest version.
Smartphones come with an Operating System (OS) such as Android or iOS in Apple iPhone. Different smartphones come with different versions on the operating system depending on when the smartphones were launched.
Newer versions of software and Operating system are introduced which improve the system utility, efficiency and user experience. These new versions of software and operating systems are provided to existing smartphones by the smartphone companies via system updates.
These system updates provided by the smartphone companies may include software updates in terms of operating system version, security patch update, or custom UI (User Interface) version. In the case of the Apple iPhone, iOS updates are provided by Apple to its devices.
Now, without much ado, let’s see how long iPhone 8 will be supported and receives the iOS software updates.
How long will the Apple iPhone 8 receive updates?
The support duration of a smartphone company to a particular Smartphone model means the time for which the specific smartphones will receive regular software updates from the company. Hence, Support for Apple iPhone 8 means the time period for which the Apple iPhone 8 would receive regular iOS updates.
The Apple iPhone was launched in September 2017. During the launch, the Apple iPhone 8 came pre-installed with the Apple iOS version 12 on it.
Although Apple had discontinued the production of the Apple iPhone 8 in 2020, Apple supports all its iPhones with major updates such as iOS updates, other allied services and device spare parts for at least a period of five years, extending maximum to a period of seven years.
As the Apple iPhone 8 was launched in 2017, it is supposed to receive all major updates, along with allied services and spare parts, at least till 2022, extending to 2024 to the maximum, depending on availability of specific parts.
The Apple iPhone 8 currently supports the latest version of iOS. iOS 16 is the latest version of iOS, which can be installed on the Apple iPhone 8. Although it’s not confirmed by Apple, the Apple iPhone 8 might also support the next iOS update which might be its last as well.
iOS 16 on Apple iPhone 8
iOS 16 is the latest iOS version released for Apple 8 or higher versions. Apple iPhone 8 receives a bunch of new features along with increased system efficiency and system security. Following are some of the new features on the Apple iPhone 8 with the iOS 16 update :
- With the latest iOS 16 update, the Apple iPhone 8 allows the user to customize the lock screen.
- FaceTime application has been updated to increase its videoconferencing abilities such as the likes of Zoom and Google Classroom.
- Another interesting new feature is the feature called live text which allows you to directly copy any text you point your camera to.
- Visual Look Up is yet another new feature on the Apple iPhone 8 with the latest iOS update which is an alternative to the Google lens.
- A very useful privacy feature has also been added which allows the user to prevent anyone from knowing if you have opened their mail.
Advantages of updating your Apple iPhone
Updating your Apple iPhone to the latest iOS version has a lot of advantages for your device, which are as follows:
- Updating your Apple iPhone to the latest iOS version helps to fix the bugs on the older iOS version on your smartphone. These ‘bugs’ are software errors which cause particular software related issues in your iPhone. The new iOS update on you Apple iPhone also fixes existing bugs on your Apple iPhone to make a much more efficient and productive user experience.
- Updating your Apple iPhone to the latest iOS version is that it improves the security status of your device to the latest possible setting. A security update helps to make your Apple iPhone much more secure against foreign attempts at stealing your data. Hence iOS updates also help defend the data and privacy on your Apple iPhone.
- The latest versions of the OS introduces new features to your Apple iPhone. The iOS updates come with multiple new utilitarian features such as “Low Power Mode” and “Screen Time”etc. Customisations related to widgets and other such new features are also added in a new iOS update.
- Another advantage of updating your Apple iPhone to the latest iOS version is that it allows you to use applications which require the latest version of iOS to operate. In this way new iOS update also Improves the accessibility of multiple applications.
How to update your Apple iPhone
There are two main ways to update your Apple iPhone to the latest iOS version available for your device.
The first method is to wait for an update dialog box to pop up on your screen. The second method is to manually update your Apple iPhone to the latest version.
Follow the given steps to manually update your Apple iPhone to the latest possible iOS version :
- Locate the settings option from the application menu and click to open it.
- From the settings menu, locate the “General” option and click to open it.
- In the preceding menu, locate the “Software Update” option and click to open it.
- Locate the Download and Install option at the bottom of the menu and click on it.
- Upon selecting the required option, you will be asked to provide your device’s PIN code.
- Upon providing your Apple iPhone PIN code, you will be required to follow the on-screen instructions and agree to the terms and conditions put forth by Apple.
- You can also opt for the “update overnight” option which will automatically update your iOS version during the night, when your iPhone is inactive.
In order to turn on auto updates, to automatically update your Apple iPhone overnight, follow the given steps :
- Locate the settings icon from the application tray and click on it.
- From the settings menu, locate the “General” option and click to open it.
- From the “General” menu, locate the Software Update option and click to open it.
- From the next menu, locate the “Automatic Update” option. Select the option and continue with the on screen instructions.
Updating your iPhone 8: Data update
It is advisable for a user to back up their data before updating your Apple iPhone to a newer version of iOS. Although the update process is highly efficient, there is a possibility of loss of data while updating your software.
In order to eliminate the risk of loss of important data on your Apple iPhone, you should back up your data. You can back up your device’s data to the Apple iCloud. Follow the given steps to back up your data to the Apple iCloud :
- Locate the settings icon from the application tray and click to open it.
- From the settings menu, locate the option with your name and tap to open it.
- Locate the iCloud option from the menu and click to open it.
- From the next menu, locate iCloud backup and click to open it.
- To manually back up your device’s data to the Apple iCloud, click on Backup now option.
- You can also turn on auto backup which will backup your device data automatically on regular intervals, when it is connected to a Wifi network.
- You can also view the various data backups on your iCloud in the Manage Account Settings option in the iCloud menu. You can also delete certain backups from this menu.
Backing up your iPhone data before any iOS update makes sure that you can retrieve any important data in case of a loss of data.
The Apple iPhone 8 was launched in 2017 and has been provided with all iOS updates since its release, i.e iOS 12, iOS 13, iOS 14, iOS 15 and iOS 16. The Apple iPhone 8 supports the latest version of the iOS operating system, i.e iOS 16 which runs smoothly on the device.
Although Apple had discontinued the Apple iPhone 8 in 2020, the company provides services, spare parts and major updates for a minimum of five years from the date when the last batch of Apple iPhone 8 was distributed for sales.
Hence, it is likely that the Apple iPhone 8 will be completely discontinued to be supported by Apple by the year 2024.
For the latest updates, follow cult.technology!!